Pages

Tuesday 25 June 2013

Miniature Fireplace

This is what was in the package to the Petersiks from Young House Love.
A miniature replica of their fireplace!

I've been waiting until they'd posted about it to share it with you.
Which they have done. Check it out here, especially if you want a size comparison of the fireplace with a chihuahua. 

I've been known to make the occasional miniature fireplace and when I saw their post with a step by step of how they made their actual fireplace the two things connected.
I thought I would make their fireplace, and then maybe see if they wanted it. It's not like I had anything else to do (still no job).
This would also allow me to try using plastic materials which I'd been introduced to on the model making course I took, instead of card and wood.

Half way through the process of making the miniature the Petersiks announced they were moving house. At first I thought 'oh no!' but then it was even more of a reason why they should have this model. As a memento of the fireplace they built in their own house.

As soon as the model was finished I emailed a photo to the Petersiks and received the best email back from Sherry. It started with an excited 'AHHHHHHHHH!'
I love it when people are emotive over email, and Sherry is that fo sho.
#bloggerfangirlmoment
A few more emails back and forth and the mini fireplace was off to Virginia.

The hardest part of the model, or rather the most time consuming, was the tiling. I had to cut and then lay so many tiny tiles.
And then do the grouting.
The tiles were made from thin pvc card, painted with acrylic to look marble-y, and then cut in to individual tiles. 

Recreating the decorative trim was tricky, but achievable!

I'm really proud of this fireplace, and am pretty overwhelmed by the response it's got over on Young House Love.
I'm also really happy that I could give the Petersiks a way to take something with them from their old house to their old house.

3 comments:

  1. I'm surprised no one has commented yet - this was super amazing. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're pretty amazing. I can imagine all the time it took to complete this for them. I read their post and know how much they loved it. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, Lisa. I really appreciate your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw this on YHL. I loved it so much. And then to find out that you cut each little tile. Wow, that just makes it even better. Great job!

    ReplyDelete