Pages

Tuesday 9 April 2013

Illustration inspiration

I recently found this image online. After a bit of digging I found it's by illustrator and graphic journalist Wendy Macnaughton.
I really liked the style and to try my own version I decided to use images of my friends.

(I've blurred out some of the words just because I don't know how much personal information my friends would want on the internet)
I traced the images from photos using my light box. Yes, I traced them. I wanted to get straight to the colouring and not spend ages trying to get the faces looking right. So I used tracing as a shortcut.
I coloured them in using coloured pencils.
I've never really done realistic colouring with pencils before, but i think I'm getting the hang of it.
Though apologies to my friends if you think I made your face look wonky or discoloured!

Coming out from the faces I wrote my friends' full names, their birthdays and things I associate with each of them.

Next I want to try something with more words so they're blocks of text coming out from the image, so many something with song lyrics. 

1 comment:

  1. These are really great, and very inspiring! I love art that combines type with graphics, so this definitely seems like a fun avenue to explore

    ReplyDelete